Friday, December 2, 2016

Celebrating 10 Years of Fish Mailart

I can't believe that I've been making mailart for 10 years! Since fish have always figured prominently in my mailart I thought it would be fun to feature one fishy postcard from each of the past ten years. The one fan of my blog already knows this, but I went to school for Marine Biology and somehow ended up in an office instead of on the water. At least I can see the ocean from my office....

One of my very first postcards ever was this alluring gem from 2007
I loved sushi back in 2008 and I still love it now!
By 2009 I was playing with more painted backgrounds. This one has some paper napkin too.
 
In 2010, I did a little more dabbling with paint. I should probably try to paint some of these fish now that I've been painting longer and honed my skills. I remember being REALLY impressed with myself back when I made this.
 
I chose "Fish by the numbers" to represent 2011. Boy do I have a lot of ephemera...

Now I'm thinking that I really should use some more of my hoard of ephemera and make some more collaged cards like this beauty from 2012.
I did a bunch of teaching in 2013 and this postcard came about during an image transfer class.


In 2014, I was collecting wool sweaters in earnest and felting them. One of my many projects was this argyle flounder. he survived the mail just as you see him in the picture.

A nice simple altered vintage postcard for 2015. That reminds me, I have a pile of unused vintage postcards hanging around here somewhere.....

This postcard for 2016 is one of my favorites. I love taking lots of disparate pieces and melding them together. this one has an old plot plan, a cookbook bit, junk mail, scrapbook paper, and of course...fish!


I hope you enjoyed my walk down memory lane... Here's to 10 more years of Mailart!!


8 comments:

  1. Mandy, what a fascinating journey you have been in for the last ten years. This was so much fun to see! Much love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome (just like you)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your ephemera hoard! I always feel like I am ephemera-deprived. (hint..hint..)
    i love your painted fish! And fish by the numbers too.
    But they're all awesome. Just like Tina. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Maybe Santa will bring you an ephemera hoard of your own...hint hint...be a good girl! :P

      You're awesome too, like Tina!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous art Mandy! Congrats on 10 beautiful years of creativity! Here's to 10 more!

    ReplyDelete