Friday, September 16, 2016

Lesson Three in Jane Davies 100 Drawings Class

I am loving this class so much that I'm chomping at the bit on Monday night knowing that I have to wait until Wednesday for the next lesson! Then Wednesday morning I managed to do a few minutes of painting before I head off to work.

I gave myself challenges as I worked through the shape exercises. Some are successful, some not so much. I'm totally okay with that though. It's all part of the process....and I haven't even pulled out the gelli plate yet!

It all started out with a riot of color and shapes. #1 started out with the black circle that I had made with the gelli plate a while ago. Then I added the pink masked shape with a stencil over it. Next came orange marker, oil pastel, collage, graphite and a piece of painted tape.
1
 Number two started over a previously painted orange background. Collage and free-hand painted orb. I was holding this the other way, but my husband insisted it was upside-down... :)
2
 After the riot of color I forced myself to try something more subdued. #3 has a negative space shape, collage and the pink circle is straight paint.
4
The yellow leaf shapes in #5 are negative space. I tried to not add too many different colors to this one.
5
 At this point, I went back to re-read the lesson assignments and realized I needed to force myself to play with a neutral color palette. For #6 I tried to add a lot of shapes, but not a lot of color. It works....
6
 Then I fell back into a bunch of color, but created the shapes differently.
7


#8 is my true neutral and I love it! Collaged triangle of citr-solv'd National Geographic, a tea bag, and a piece of paper I created. Simple is so effective, but I have trouble stopping.
8

#9 is as simple as it gets...The shape was peeled off my palette. I don't want to add more and wreck it.
9

My personal challenge for #10 was to only add black shapes to the super colorful background.
10


I thought I was done with #11 and had scanned it. It floated back to the top of the pile and I defined my big shape more. Then I realized it could use a contrast in shape size so I added the little collaged squares.
11-Before

11-After

#12 is negative shapes and rolling security stamp through a stencil.
12


#13 has just three shapes in three different methods-Collage, ghost image pull from another piece, and a homemade foam stamp.
13


One of my final challenges was to use irregular shapes. It is something that I struggle with. Irregular shapes just seem wrong to me, but I like them in #14.
14

For #15, I worked a grid over a previously painted page and then created negative shapes. Squares are also not my go-to shape so I have to work extra hard to include them.
15

These last two are pieces that I developed to the point that I think they are finished pieces.
#16 feels very Seuss-ical to me, especially that critter arm reaching across the top.

16
 After living with a house full of engineers for so long I find that floating shapes just need to be grounded.I love the tension of rocks just about to fall...

17
 I try keeping the challenge of varying the shapes in my head and trying new things on each piece. Creating so many pieces definitely gives me a chance to keep pushing.

How many days until the next lesson????

3 comments:

  1. So inspiring and awesome. I love your color riot! You have to teach a WAAR lesson. Please? Love you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will definitely be playing hard at WAAR! Can you believe that it is only 20 days away? Love you too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane's comment from the class blog for my records:

    Jane DaviesSeptember 17, 2016 at 7:09 PM

    Fabulous work, Mandy!! Really great job, excellent exploration. Looks like your focus is clear for each piece, and you've managed to include other elements while maintaining focus on shapes. Great variety too. well done!

    ReplyDelete